Friday, April 3, 2009

4 more months




Here it is, my first post of (hopefully, unless i get distracted) many more to come. I'm sure that it mistifies you as to why i choose to uproot myself from my surroundings and live in a foreign country for a year. I understand where you're coming from, considering i can't speak a word of Danish, i've never moved out of florida, and i've never left the United States. Living in another country for a year is crazy, and I honestly believe myself to be insane enough to do it. I've never been more excited for anything in my life, and i've also never worked so hard for anything in my life. Anyone who is considering applying for the Rotary exchange program, just know that you will have to work. Its not like you just sign up on a piece of paper and you're in; oh no! they make you work for it. You have to prove to them that you really want to leave, and that you'll do a fantastic job as an ambassador for this country. Ergo, lots of work. But it is worth it, and these are the longest 4 months of my life. It seems like the seconds are going slower that usual, and that the days won't end. On August 1st i'll be on a plane to Denmark, but until then, i am stuck in this boring, hell-hole of a town breathlessly awaiting my departure. I have come to love Denmark. Everything that i've read has been incredibly positive, and all of the current outbounds rave about Denmark and how much they don't want to leave. I've even come to love my future city. It's very small, roughly the size and population of Cody, Wyoming. However, I think that it is the perfect size; also, just in case i get bored in that tiny town, the 2nd biggest city on Fyn is 30 minutes away. My town has everything in my mind; its on the Baltic Sea, so plenty of water activites, its small enough to walk everywhere, and it is outrageously charming. I swear, it's even cuter then downtown St. Augustine. I am sometimes afraid that I am expecting too much from Denmark; that I am expecting it to be perfect. So in these blogs, i have decided to post at least one bad thing about Denmark, to try and help with my expectation level.
Danish schools give much more homework than American schools.
There. Now i feel better.
Today is the first day of spring break. The sweet, week-long release from the captivity of high school. For a week i no longer have to hear Mrs. Kindell yell at me about tardy's en francais, make a mad dash for the cafeteria in order to have time to eat, or listen to Mr. Hanson being, well, Mr. Hanson. Apperently in Denmark, students have very close relationships with thier teachers. That is going to be an adjustment. I feel like this post is very short, but when i post it it will probably be extremely long and i will feel like a douchebag for posting such a long blog. Tak for din tid!




No comments:

Post a Comment